Refugee Studies Forum Index Refugee Studies
Discussion Forum for Current and Former Students of Forced Migration and Refugee Studies

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UEL Links:Refugee Studies Programme   Refugee Council Archive
Start Here:Welcome & Instructions
Welcome! Please Introduce Yourself!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Refugee Studies Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Welcome! Please Introduce Yourself!! Reply with quote

Welcome to the discussion board!

This thread is so we can get to know one another so if you'd like to introduce yourself please do so - you can add any information you like, for example:
    Name,
    when you were a student,
    what you do outside of college - e.g. work, culture, hobbies??
    any study topics you're interested in

i'll kick off below....

Last edited by admin on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:28 am; edited 3 times in total
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Here we go
I am Ed,
I was a student on the Refugee Studies Course at UEL from 2004-5,
I currently work as Quality Assurance Officer at a well known refugee organisation Wink before i had this job, i worked for about 5 years as coordinator of interpreting in the same place - that experience informed a lot of the research towards my dissertation, which is still online here

my potted biography is online here as part of RC training brochure
i speak arabic and some swahili

(i am also 'admin' for the website, but i'll use that login for maintenance of the site rather than discussion)
chupa

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Introducing Myself Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am Chupa, a former student on the course. I have recently left the Refugee Council after 5 years, having worked as the Institutional Giving Manager. I now work for a charity that houses and supports socially excluded people including refugees, as the Fundraising Manager.

The issues I am interested in are of course women's and human rights in general, Africa, HIV/Aids and development.

Hobbies include squash, reading african literature, cooking and photography.
afabos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Hello from Anita Reply with quote

Hello all,

I came to UEL Refugee Studies as a lecturer in 2002 and have found a lively community of people all interested in using knowledge to help refugees. I hope that this forum will be an extension of the fruitful relationships we've all developed through the programme!

Anita
Levan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Hello from Levan Reply with quote

Hi all, happy to be registered within this forum opportunities! i am Levan, although everybody knows me as Leonid. Currently I am doing my dissertation at Refugee Studies in UEL. Glad to know there are some former students of UEL here!
Best,
Levan
C.hobson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello all,

My name is Chris, and like Levan I'm currenty doing my dissertation for the Refugee Studies MA. From an academic point of view, I come to this multidisciplinary study mainly from a media-direction i.e. media influence on discourses, power behind the media, relationship between media/government/general public etc.

Looking forward to using this as a helpful resource and as an opportunity for interesting debate on some of the issues close to us.
armcrub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Hullo! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been putting this off for a while (because of workload) but am glad that I've finally managed to register.

My name is Calvin Armstrong and am a Refugee Studies student at UEL. I also work as the Partnership Development Manager at the Refugee Council.

I am interested in Human Rights and international politics.

My hobbies are Football (my two boys think that I am better that Rooney!), novel reading and F1.
Natalia Paszkiewicz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Introductory note Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Natalia and I'm currently finishing Refugee Studies. I'm writing my dissertation on the lived experience of NASS with a case study of Iranian asylum seeekers. I have BA and MA degrees in Cultural Anthropology so my approach is pretty much ethnographic.
Apart from this I've been doing voluntary work visiting people in detention centres for nearly two years now.
If you have any ideas related to the subject please share them with me

Best regards,
Natalia
meghanbrennamorris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

Hey there!
This is just a wonderful forum, and I just want to personally thank all who have quite obviously put a tremendous amount of effort into giving others the opportunity to communicate in this way! Well done!!!
My name is Meghan Brenna Morris. I was completed my dissertation in the autumn of 2005, and obtained my MA in International Social Work with Refugee Studies. My dissertation looked at the role of human dignity in the psychosocial healing process for refugee youth. I conducted comparative case studies with Somali youth resettled in the US, and repatriated Rwandan youth living in a genocide survival village there. I am still a part of the project that I worked for in Rwanda, and will return there in November.
Currently, I work for the Public Affairs Office of the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Outside of work, at the moment I am desperately trying to learn Arabic (I speak Spanish and Portuguese and have lived in Central America and Mexico, but Spanish is not overly helpful at present Laughing ). I also try to do yoga daily; I love cooking; I am a bit of a magical realism novel junkie; and, finally, I love just talking and debating with my husband.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Refugee Studies Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: