Refugee Studies Forum Index Refugee Studies
Discussion Forum for Current and Former Students of Forced Migration and Refugee Studies

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UEL Links:Refugee Studies Programme   Refugee Council Archive
Start Here:Welcome & Instructions
Spam on Refugeestudies.org

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Refugee Studies Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozirojanr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Spam on Refugeestudies.org Reply with quote

((offensive & irrelevant content deleted by admin))

Apologies for the spam that increasingly seems to be cropping up on the site, i'll try and keep deleting it as i spot it
best wishes
admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've switched on the registration validation function which may deter the persistent spammers who are posting increasing amounts of unsolicited nonsense
this means new members have to reply to an email to join the site
if it doesn't work then i'll switch on the function that requires all new members to be approved by admin

apoplogies again!!

admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,
as the amount of spam on the site has not significantly decreased since my last message and i am fed up of deleting messages about various vices and banning posters, as well as because i'm going to be away for a week or so and don't want the useful content on the site to disappear under a deluge of adverts for sex and drugs, reluctantly i will switch on the function that requires new users to be authorised by admin...

i guess it will be quite clear which people want to make use of the site for legitimate reasons, unfortunately this will make the site a bit less accessible to genuine users so apologies for that, i'll try and ensure that any membership requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently

if any members are interested in participating in moderating or administration of the forum please let me know

best wishes
admin
rachel w

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin - have PM'd you a list of domains that a friend who administers another, similar forum has compiled. apparently blocking these helped decrease spam quite significantly, although it has not totally eradicated the problem. hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Refugee Studies Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: